December Classroom of the Month— Get in the Scrap!
Each month the Museum will feature a standout classroom participating in Get in the Scrap! Get in the Scrap! is a national service learning project about recycling and energy conservation, inspired by the scrapping efforts of students during World War II. Each class featured has done stellar work to make a difference in their school, home, community and even the planet!
This month we’re featuring the Shiremanstown Home School Group from Duncannon, PA. The students sat down and answered a few questions for us about their work with Get in the Scrap!
Number of Get in the Scrap! Points thus far:
We have 69 points so far and will receive the 25 points on December 10th, the night of the event when they share all of the work they’ve done and they need 6 more points besides, which will be completed in two weeks. They have committed to doing every activity on the list. They are very excited about this.
How has Get in the Scrap! been a good fit for your curriculum? Please explain:
This class is a Citizenship class and the students remarked that the curriculum has:
- Allowed us to work as a group.
- We learned about the history and sacrifices of the people during WWII.
- We understand that people need to pay attention to the environment and conserve resources.
- We combined Penny Wars and Water Bottle Bank activities to collect money for Wreaths Across America so we could pay tribute to the men and women who have served our country. [Blogger’s note: The students have raised over $3,500 so far in memory of the Marines killed in the Pegasus crash in Hawaii.]
- The Penny Wars helped us learn how to count change and manage our accounting, keeping tabs every week of our collections.
- Get In the Scrap Day! Is helping us to learn how to organize an event, plan for the people who are coming, and work with the community on a mission that’s important to us.
What has been your favorite activity? Why?
Our favorite activity has been planning the big event using all of the little activities to help us learn about what we are going to be presenting. We can’t wait to do it! [Blogger’s note: On December 10th, the group will be hosting a traditional holiday meal, followed by a production of “A World War II Radio Christmas.” Proceeds from the event will go to Susquehanna Service Dogs and Wreaths Across America.]
Any suggestions on new activities or how to improve the project?
We would like you to create a BINGO game like the Jeopardy game. We could even help!
This is just one of the many amazing classrooms participating in the Get in the Scrap! national service learning project. You can learn more and sign up your classroom today at getinthescrap.org!
Post by Chrissy Gregg, Virtual Classroom Coordinator
- Posted :
- Post Category :
- Tags : Tags: Get in the Scrap!
- Follow responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.
Leave a Reply